Originally Posted by deputy30
Am i correct in this simplified assessment? Polartech (with its moisture management) is a better base layer. Primaloft (with its insulation management) is a better second layer. And if that is true, patagonia capilene base layers would be a good choice?

Polartech is generally a moisture wicking base layer of some sort- think fleece. Primaloft is generally a synthetic version of goose down for insulation- think puffy coat.

Originally Posted by deputy30
Gonna make another conclusion.

Merino wool is better as a base layer when walking a short distance and do not expect to sweat.

Synthetic is better as a base layer when one expects to sweat. And as Form pointed out, a fleece mid layer is a good choice to help your body dry out.

Thoughts on this??

After a couple years of testing, trying, learning, and exercising clothing systems and measuring how how quickly they wet out, fast they dry, how warm, etc. I'm having a hard time finding anywhere for pure merino in a performance clothing system- and this is from someone that HATED synthetics beforehand. For wear around town, general clothing I still like merino, and for super arid conditions it has some benefits, but for general mountain hunting, backpacking, etc. synthetics just perform better. The merino/synthetic blends look to be a very good option as well. The Firstlite Areowool is doing really well and while merinos dry times are about double synthetics- maybe a bit more, the Aerowool is about 10-15% longer than pure synthetic. It also maintains the good qualities of merino with regards to feel and lack of stink.

Originally Posted by oklahunter
I wouldn’t agree. Wool works very well to move a lot of moisture if you are active and has a reduces stink factor when used over several days. Good wool is warmer than synthetics. Wool feels and acts “dry” for longer than synthetics while being able to absorb and move moisture. But if there is nowhere for moisture to move it will damp out. So if you are in a high humidity environment or bury the base layer under heavy insulation it will damp out and stay damp. There are a lot of experienced mountain hunters on this forum that have moved to wool for base layers and swear by it.

That's exactly what I would have, and did say, as well.... right up until we started measuring it. It's pretty hard to convince anyone how good merino is at "warm when wet" when you're 3 hours in a spotting session and absolutely freezing because your still wet, yet your partners are warm as can be and dry in synthetics.

Originally Posted by David_Walter
Not really a gear head anymore, but this puffy has 50 reviews and 5 stars, and that's hard to pull off for a hunting puffy/parka.

Kifaru Lost Park Parka

I've got right at 60 days of wear this year with the Lost Park as my sole puffy. I really like Anoraks so prefer what is usually the biggest complaint (lack of full length zipper). I've used it from 11k feet while snowing in below zero temps, to 60 degrees and raining, and everything in between. The first thing to say is everywhere you read people will Ben saying how it's a "furnace" and ridiculously warm. It's a matter of perspective, as it has to be the first puffy of people that claim it's so warm. It's made with 3.6oz Climashield Apex- that Ian exactly the same as Kifaru's 20 degree sleeping bags. Due to reduced body coverage, airflow, etc. that means it's about a 30 degree jacket which is exactly where it's fallen for me so far.
With a lightweight base layer, and light to mid weight fleece am fine the Lost Park I'm good to around 30-35 degrees stationary. With moderate movement I've been fine to below zero.

None of that should be taken admin a slight in the jacket- it's actually the first puffy I pick for most things. Just wanted to give some reality to most of the reviews that you'll see.