Originally Posted by Formidilosus

So this is what I’ve talked about in this thread...

So that system is good for glassing in the teens for you. If you wouldn’t mind- what does that mean? Are you sitting completely motionless (I.e. not moving at all, no stomping feet, rubbing arms, etc.). ? If so, for how long? Is that in the sunlight? What are you wearing on your legs?

I ask these things because you have what amounts to a 30-40 degrees sleeping bag as far as loft and insulation, yet without the greater thermal effects of the bag, and your saying you are good to the teens...?

Form,

I appreciate your field testing and realize that any such testing must have some objective criteria to use.

However, short of coyotes and whitetails (where most of the time, weight is not a concern), how realistic is sitting motionless for hours? And why did you pick that as your yardstick?

I live and hunt in Montana in November, in one of the colder parts of the state. I can't imagine carrying enough clothes up a mountain to sit motionless for hours when its around 0* F, and even if I had the clothing, I'd have to bring a second set of boots to keep my feet warm once I got there.

Point being, I never assume that I will have to be motionless for hours, and really I can't think of why I would. Usually I sit down to glass, throw on a layer or two, and try to sit for as long as possible. Then, I either get up and hike to a new glassing spot or take a short warm-up walk and then come back to my spotting scope. Even if I bring an insulation layer for top and bottom and am mostly comfortable, my feet will get cold and I'll have to move to warm those up.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.