Sakoluvr... thanks for citing Linebaugh! I can't tell you how many times I've copied & pasted those exact quotes (among others) on the Handguns forum here on 24HCF; I've given up on trying to edjimicate the dumbphuques who can't understand these simple concepts.

I talked to JL on the phone one time, about 15 years ago, when I was seriously into handloading for my Rugers to ultra-maximum power levels. John set me straight on more than a few subtle points, which was really nice of him. The best thing about Linebaugh's site is that you can count on everything he writes as solid fact. He has done so much more practical research on heavy handgun loads than anybody else I know of it's incredible. So when he says, "Do this, but avoid doing that," you can pretty much take that to the bank.

One of the things Linebaugh and I agreed on was that if you're going to shoot really stout .45 Colt loads in factory revolvers, you need to do it in a Ruger BH Bisley or a Freedom Arms gun. At that time the Super Redhawk wasn't readily available in .45 Colt, but it's obviously in the same category. But the Bisley grip frame does wonders for taming recoil, and that's why I stuck with that platform. When you get up to loads of 325 gr at 1350 fps you need the Bisley grip, and even then it can become seriously painful.

In a S&W N-frame like the 625 Mountain Gun I favor as my hunting sidearm lately, recoil in even the warm loads can be painful with a poorly-designed grip. I've messed around with a lot of different grips for this application, and at this point have settled on the Skeeter Skelton type "Coke Bottle" grip shape. The beefy fat grip shapes like the Jordan or Herter's Roper beat the hell out of my thumb, FWIW. Different hands require different grip shapes, and when you get into heavy-kicking sixguns grip shape can be crucial.

I chased heavy 45 Colt loads for several years, but over time I grew tired of the abuse my hand and wrist took. I came to accept Linebaugh's words of wisdom about the utility of loads barely into the warmish category... a 250-265 gr bullet at 950-1000 fps. There's not much you can't kill with that load. Paco Kelly, another big bore revolver guru I've spent time on the phone with, killed his first zebra in Africa (as well as many hogs, black bears, and even cattle here in America) with a .45 Colt load of that power.

I rarely shoot the HVY loads in my 45's any more, not necessarily because I don't like the recoil, but because I can get anything done I need to get done with a moderately warm load. Same thing for my 44 Magnums, for that matter. For personal defense (whether against 2-legged varmints or quadrupeds) a DA revolver is superior to any SA; and a DA gun in .44 or .45 is far more controllable with a moderately hot load than a heavy load. This is largely why I carry the 625 instead of one of my Bisley's when I'm rifle hunting in bear country. Just my opinion, mind you. I ain't John Linebaugh, so take my advice FWIW! grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars