Originally Posted by DocRocket
I doubt you'll get much expert advice on N-frames on this forum. Try the S&W Forum if you want some in-depth expertise. There's a couple of S&W gunsmiths I'll go to for advice and/or gunsmithing, and they're both on that forum.

Sorry Doc, but I dissagree, S&W forum drinks the cool aid. The original 240 grain 44 loads from Remington and Winchester were advertised at 1550 FPS and 1650 FPS respective according to Brian Prace. Brian also claimed the Winchester load got about 1600 FPS in real revolvers. These are the loads that the M-29 had much trouble with when fed a steady diet. Most 240 grain factory loads today chrono between 1180 and 1240 FPS from my 6 1/2" M-29. I dono consider thes loads to be anything more than +P 44 special loads. I expect at least 1400 FPS in my 44 mags.

A 260 grain 45 colt load @1200 is a top end in my opinion for the M-25 if one shoots very many of them and expects the revolver to hold up over a period of time.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first