Originally Posted by 4th_point
Let's be honest... as much as I respect many of the opinions here, none of you have enough experience to definitively say that one is better than the other. If someone can definitely say that a heavy 44 Mag is better than a heavy 45 Colt, or vice versa, let's hear it. You guys are just relating anecdotal stories about two peas-in-a-pod.

The only time the 44 fans and 45 fans agree is when they team-up to put down the 357 shooters. It's really funny when you think about it.

I like the 44 and 45, and find the whole argument amusing. But.. am willing to be educated with something more than anecdotal evidence grin

And yet, I'm completely prepared for nobody to come forth with any objective evidence that sways the argument one way or the other.

One of few posts in this thread that actually makes sense. In reality, you'd have to shoot hundreds of critters with each bullet/load to discern any difference.

Which is exactly why testing in a consistent media (more consistent than wet newsprint) is the only effective way to compare them to each other. That's exactly what I tried to do but apparently the .45 true believers and Linebaugh Kool Aid drinkers are unable to accept the truth.

For me, I love both cartridges and have used both, on game. I have little reason to choose one over the other. Except that .45Colt guns tend to be wonky on dimensions. I did not even realize there was such disparity among meplat dimensions until I was compiling my data AFTER the testing.

What is confusing is that both Whitworth and JWP have always agreed that meplat diameter is the only dimension that matter but for some reason, have decided to change their tune for the purposes of this discussion.

IMHO, to presume that there is a measurable difference between the wound channels produced by two bullets with a .300" meplat, one being a .44, the other being a .45, is the definition of insanity.