I have 6 44 mags and yes I have shot game with them and seen a lot more shot with them. In my experience shooting deer sized game with either will render simulate results and wound channels. I also always state like bullet, that means same meplat percentage and material. My experience shows that really large game the large wound channel that are inflicted in deer sized game does not happen since body mass is large enough to soak up the hydraulic pressure and this applies to both rifles and handguns. This is why bore diameter becomes more meaningful.

In my experience on reply big game the 45 is a step up from a 44, granted it is a small step up. The .475 is a larger step up over a 45 and the 500 is a step up over a 475. If one is observant on large game the 45 leaves a larger wound. On deer sized game it would be much more difficult to observe.

Bore diameter definate matters in my experience. When my friend at Barnes bullets devoloped load for a 20 gauge shotgun use 900 grain 600 nitro bullets to 1200 FPS. He found in some mediums the jacketed rifle bullets penetrated deeper than hard cast, but in one medium the hard cast out penetrated all of the jacketed rifle Bullets. Testing is useful but not the end all be all, in my experience.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first