Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If meplat diameter was the only factor that matters, than full wadcutters would be the ultimate hunting bullet. If that were the case the 357 mag with a 220 gr full wadcutter at 1200 fps should be just as capable of a big game round as the 44 or 45 with 240-250 gr @ the same speed.

But most of us know that isn't true. The entire bullet shape affects how accurately the bullet travels through air and flesh. I've long been of the opinion that for a given caliber once you get to a certain meplat and bullet weight you've maximized what that caliber can do in terms of wound diameter, and for more terminal performance you have to step up bullet diameter.

Sure the 44 mag is a very good hunting round, but even with 300 gr hardcast at 1200-1300 fps with well shaped bullets some hunters have found it lacking on the largest of game. Yes, the animals did die eventually but the performance was less than decisive. Not isolated instances, I've heard this from many hunters I respect.

Sure the 44 is a very good round, but it's at best intellectually disingenuous to say it measures up to the 45.

Spot on! I could not agree more and very well stated

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first