Originally Posted by Whitworth1
This was when the heaviest bullets loaded in the .500 Linebaugh were in the 450 grain range. It wasn't till much later that experimentation revealed the superiority of 500 + grain bullets in the .500 and it essentially snatched the penetration crown off of the .475's head.

And few people recognize that even now. You have articles by well respected authorities deriding use of such heavy bullets.

You mean things changed with time? We now have better bullets than we had 30yrs ago? New bullets actuall changed old doctrine? Imagine that. Hmmmm.....funny how that only applies when we want it to.

Originally Posted by Whitworth1
I don't think the .44 is a better penetrator on game and have never been really impressed with the way it kills relative to other calibers like the .45 Colt. Seyfried also felt the .44 Mag was a bit of an underachiever.

So you think the tests Michael and I conducted have no merit? How long has it been since you gave up on the .44?

I know what Seyfried wrote and I know when he wrote it. Seyfried's judgement of the .44Mag is also 30yrs old and based on outdated bullet designs. Read it again and look at the bullets referenced.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Now show that film to someone and dare them to tell with even 75% certainty which animal was hit by a bullet from which caliber. Heck, show them the wound channels and make that same dare.

Prezactly! Any difference between the two amounts to less than a hill of beans.