Originally Posted by jwp475
It is not theory it is simple math .452 is larger than .429. Stop cherry picking. Compare apples to apples as Whitworth posted when all is equall, meaning to same percent meplat. 80% meplat of both is a larger diameter in 452 than in 429.

.452 is .023 larger than .429, .476 is . 024 larger than .452, .500 is .024 larger than .476. By your logic the 44 is the same as 45, thus the 45 is the same as 475 and 475 is the same as 500, thus making the 44 equal to the 475 and 500, they are not equal.

Most if not all agree that 338 is larger than a 300 there is even less difference is size between the 2 than than the difference between .452 and . 429.

Since we're splitting hairs, let's be clear, .45 fans love to poke fun at the ".429 Magnum" but if we're talking cast bullets then we're talking .430-.431" bullets, not .429".

It is theory if all you're talking about is meplat percentages. I'm talking about the dimensions of the bullets that are actually on the market. I don't know of a commercial bullet caster doing 80% meplats for the .45. Let us not forget that if you do get that 80% meplat, you're going to lose penetration. You can't get a more apples to apples comparison by looking at WFN's and WLN's from the same friggin' manufacturer. The meplats on the 320-335gr bullets from CPBC are the same .340-.345", .44 and .45.

Another example:
320gr CPBC WLN .44 at 1280fps - TKO - 25.2, meplat .340"
335gr CPBC WFN .45 at 1225fps - TKO - 26.5, meplat .345"

The .44 penetrated 13% deeper and let's be realistic, there's no difference between a .340" and a .345" meplat.

It IS simple math if you actually look at the meplats on the bullets we can buy, rather than what they're "supposed" to be. You're not casting either so we're stuck with the same bullets. I'm not cherry-picking, I'm giving specific examples of where a .45 is not only not "bigger" than a .44 but where it can actually be smaller. I'm also giving you specific examples of where .44 bullets performed better and penetrate deeper. I'm sorry if that is not congruent with your perception. The point being, the two are so close as to be interchangeable. The .45 is not always bigger, it does not penetrate better and it does not handle heavier bullets. Those are undeniable facts. If there are ANY examples of where "the .45 is a bigger hammer" doesn't hold true, then it's not a true statement.

When people say, "the .45 is a bigger hammer", they're not talking about meplat size, which is highly variable. They're talking about bullet diameter, which is a constant. Nobody ever brings up meplat diameter. You can say, "when all things are equal" but things seldom are. If we have to be casting bullets from Veral's molds for all things to be equal, then that has to be stipulated.

The .44 and .45 handle bullets the same weight and in the same velocity range. The .475 and .500 are a big step up in diameter, bullet weight and pressure. Big difference between a 430gr .475 or 525gr .500 and a 355gr .44 or 360gr .45.

Differences between rifle cartridges firing expanding bullets at high velocities are irrelevant. However, the difference between a .338 and a .300 is greater than the difference between a .44 and a .45.

You have told me over and over again that .45's just penetrate better than .44's, regardless of weight or design. I can't find a single instance where that proved true in my testing. It was quite the reverse. IMHO, you .45 fans made up your minds years ago and refuse to hear anything else. Newsflash, I'm a .45 fan too (own 7 .45Colt's and 5 .45ACP's) and I used to believe all that Linebaugh crap too. Except that I accepted that it's not true any more, if it ever was, based on facts.

Originally Posted by DocRocket
Before you know it you get idiots saying they can run their SA handguns faster than anyone can run a DA...

Need to work on your reading comprehension, no one ever said that. YOU may be able to run a DA faster than an SA but I fail to see an advantage. IMHO, this is a training issue.

Yes, do look up the video of the guys shooting .454's as fast as they can. It may be an eye opener for closed minded DA shooters.