"There are other outfitters who keep nearly all the funds in the USA, in escrow, until after the hunt, when everything is settled up."

I was always under the impression that was the primary reason to use a US based booking agent. I have to agree this sounds like a lot of CYA and excuses. At there very least Mark's commission should already be on it's way back to the hunters.
What really stumps me and maybe I totally missed the boat here but Mark is saying that he had great reports last year but that's surely not what I see Motor City saying about his hunt. It seems to me that this was a lot more than just a wee bit of "poor practice" or poor planning. It amazes me when things like this go go south that people with other wise stellar reputations resort to excuses and side stepping. Some one else summed it up very well when they said;
"As for refunds, there are some things that money can't fix. Some things can't be fixed at all"
However a refund of the commissions and a serious apology would probably go a long ways. I very much doubt any of them give a rats behind about hearing excuses about why they were sent to a different area to hunt and worse.
I'm sure many of us remember our drill instructors. Mine was a big mofo with a neck as big as a tree. When he yelled I swear the earth shook and when he yelled this little ditty that I've never forgotton you knew you were in seriously deep kim chee.

Excuses
Excuses
Excuses
Excuses build monuments to the incompetent