Originally Posted by Model70Guy
JPK,
In your experience as a client elephant hunter, where in Zimbabwe should a hunter direct his efforts? I'd like to minimze mistakes like this hunt, since I don't think my enthusiasm could remain intact through many of them.

This is a question which could take a LONG time to answer, partly because the answer will depend on what it is the prospective client is looking for. The most thrilling hunt, an economical hunt, an economical hunt with some ivory to bring home, ivory first and foremeost...

Since that client is you for the purpose of the answer here, and you booked a non-export bull the first go-round, than I'm going to guess that the experience and thrill of the hunt are what you are most interested in.

If you are not averse to shooting a tuskless cow elephant, I would point you in this direction. Tuskless are available in some of the great safari concessions where there is no one but Parks game scouts, the camp staff and the PH's and hunters in the whole concession. Places like Chewore, Sapi, Nyakasanga, Chete... Generally controlled by first rate outfitters who have renewable five year leases or offered by Parks at auction as two week camps to avoid too much hunting land being held by a few companies.

Lions, buff, elephant and leopard areas, some with more of one than the other, generally not crawling with plains game though there will be some, even a lot in a couple of them.

The tuskless hunt is THE MOST EXCITING ELEPHANT HUNT THERE IS. And tuskless are typically the least expensive elephants to hunt. Non-export only. The trophy is the experience and your video and/or photos too. Not typically the most physically demanding elephant hunt, but it can turn out that way. The hunt is so exciting that it is either a turn off for some or an addiction for others. A great 2x1 hunt for two guys to double their fun, each pursuing a tuskless. (I'm not generally a fan of 2x1 hunts but this is one that would work great for two good buddies to share.) A great multi-elephant opportunity for guys who are better off financially.

Next up in expense would be PAC Bulls or non-export bulls. While cow elephants are damn big, bulls are huge, with some strains just huge. Bulls are typically more shy than cows and less aggressive, though this is not something you can rely on. You can generally approach bulls closer than cows. Ten yards is very close for a tuskless, and it is much easier to close to ten yards with a bull or a small group of bulls. Close is intense. Close is good and satisfying, close is addictive as hell.

The downside to a true PAC hunt is that the hunt will take place in a Campfir area, which will have villages, people and the associated problems, like poaching... The hunt can be physically trying or it can be a walk in the park. Bull elephants move further and faster during the day than cows so they can be trying.

Trophy bull hunts are next up. These range from damned expensive to expensive, based generally on the size of the expected ivory... Here the hunt is a goal but the ivory is the driver. Much more expensive than a PAC bull, probably 2.5x or 3x tuskless hunt. Trophy bull hunting is very similar to PAC hunting, but the end game comes up more infrequently since you will be selective on ivory size where with PAC bulls you will not be so selective.

Trophy bulls are available in many areas in Zim, but expected ivory weigh varries quite a lot.

I'll continue later,

JPK