Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Seems that posting those ego-stroking hero pics kinda slowed down the Berger Bashing.

....hmmmmmm

grin

I really don't think that anyone is bashing Bergers. smile

Seems they are designed and constructed the way they are for a reason,and to do what they "do" because of the design, construction,and materials from which they are made.

Bullets are tools and nothing more.

Suggesting that they might not be the best choice for dealing with a large,dangerous animal at close range is no more an indictment of them than suggesting that an Aframe or Barnes may not be the best choice for shooting herbivores at 700-1000 yards.This isn't a criticism of either...simply an acknowledgement that each "tool" has its place and application.

And since dangerous animals are only dangerous when they are very close,that's the criteria we are dealt.

At some point,logic and reason have to enter the picture....But if you have an agenda, to prove they are the "best" bullets for ALL hunting,suited to all purposes,and dismiss the notion that all tools are not the same, then reason...and logic...are lost in the din of pushing the agenda. wink

If they were THAT good for that purposes, we would see them in the rifles of dangerous game professionals for real dirty work....and we don't,far as I know.

But maybe things have changed? confused ....are Shoemaker and Sitka Deer (Art)shooting them now at brown bear? And has John Burns switched to Aframes or Barnes? grin

Of course I say all this in fun and for the purpose of making a point but I think folks will get my drift. wink

Never been charged by a grizzly but I would think that the skull would be a pretty difficult target;aside from the toughness of the bone,the brain is small,the head moving(along with the bear) and a guy would have to be highly skilled or lucky(or both) to hit the brain under the conditions. Of course I guess you take what you can get under the circumstances.

Of course you will have a bit of time to contemplate your bullet choice,or where you otherwise went wrong as he rearranges your anatomy....which according to some accounts takes him about 15-30 seconds.

At least that's the story I got from the wife of a guy who rushed 50 yards through the pucker brush when he heard his partner scream on Baranof Island.(I was on a flight back from Alaska). The pair were deer hunting and the partner was charged.The bear was gone in the time he moved that 50 yards,but had done enough damage that the partner died 5 days later from the injuries.

I guess this stuff is not just theoretical.

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/15/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.