I would be very interested in the actual provenance for this particular study? If, done here in BC, it could be from one of the two "competing" groups currently involved in the controversy here regarding Grizzly hunting. So, assuming you have the title,ect., please post a link?

Concerning the OP's query, there is certainly a lot of opinion posted here and some seems a bit contradictory and some "facts" appear to be different in different posts.

However, since Phil Shoemaker, has often posted his opinion on bullets for bears, it seems to me that doing as he suggests and MD, whose credibility as with "BOBinNH", is simply beyond question, well, legitimate question, and going with the bullets that he uses.

I usually, by choice, hunt,hike, camp and fish alone and have done here for almost 50 years. When, I do carry a gun, I have developed "heavy for caliber" loads with NOSLER PARTITION bullets for all of my rifles, except my .220Swift. Based on some experience and the comments by those whom I respect, these work very well, are easily available and while costly, are not SO expensive that one cannot practice with some from each box to make SURE you can hit what you want to and operate your gun well.

I have Brenneke slugs for my two Benelli 12 bores, one a 14" model which is my "tent gun", as I sold my Redhawk.44M, because it is too much hassle to bother with the permits and I like to keep a short,powerful gun in my tent when sleeping. I have no illusions about these relative to my .338s, 9.3s or .375s, in performance, but, this is the best legal option I now have.

I hope Phil S. chimes in here, as he is the REAL expert and his comments on anything to do with any bears always interest me. If, he suggests a certain load for a given rifle that, IMO, is a VERY good place to start load development for your particular rifle, noting the usual caution concerning "starting" charges.

Again, IF that study IS from BC, I would like to see it, thanks.