The reference to Gary Shelton, here is both pretinent and interesting; I have had all of his books for some years, have read them all and know several of those he mentions in them. He is an American, one of scores who came here to BC, in the '60s and he is/was a "forest engineer".

His opinions represent one "polar" of the on-going and,sadly, unpleasant and all too often ignorant controversy about bears in general and Grizzlies in particular, that has raged here in BC for about 40 years. Gary, is a "resourcist" and a believer in "harvesting" nature, a very different attitude than that of many others concerned with this issue.

His advice in his books is,as he openly states, based on his interaction over the time he has been in BC, with much the same kind of "old timers" from whom I learned much of what little I know about wilderness life, bears and so on. I knew some of these "mid-coast" bushwhackers when I worked there the first time in forestry in 1969-70, and I seem to recall that Gary arrived in BC around that time and he is 2-3 years older than I am.

So, yeah, get his books, read them and see what YOU think, I find them to be excellent, although some of his opinions are not the ones I hold.

As to handguns, I realize that SOME and I think, only a FEW, guys can run them to the level needed to deal with bears. Given the OP is here in BC, it is not an option as carrying is not allowed in huntng. Also, I agree, WHY pack some 3-4 lbs. of extra weight which you will not have time to use, when packing a good rifle?

One last point here and it is that I have EVERY rifle I seriously use for hunting customized to have a 3-pos. Mod. 70 safety and single-stage trigger. I want my "muscle memory" to be attuned to ONE set of "controls" and thus not be quite as apt to fumble in the presence of a Grizzly...which, I have done and, I suspect, so have many others.

Right now, I am finishing the loading and tuning for my three, synthetic stocked Brno/CZ CRF rifles in 9,3x62, using both fixed 4x scopes and "ghost and post" irons and 286NPs at 2450-2500....should do the job, IMHO.

Some interesting comments on this thread and as some indicate, this topic is becoming ever more relevant for more and more hunters.