Originally Posted by rcamuglia
What were charging bears shot with and stopped prior to 1985, the year the TSX was invented?

Setting aside the �who is acting ethically� question for a moment the Barnes� bone in gelatin test is meant to show terminal performance on impact with bone and tissue. Barnes specializes in deep penetration and high weight retention bullets. This is something they have been doing for a long time. They don�t want to consider that there are other ways hunting bullets can be successful. Instead of evolving, Barnes will stay focused on convincing hunters that their way is the best and only way hunting bullets should work.
It is our position at Berger that an enhanced alternative option to this type of bullet is a bullet that penetrates the first inches of tissue and bone and then dumps its energy through fragmentation into the vital area of the animal. Barnes� tests prove that their bullets still work the same as they always have and that our bullets perform exactly as we describe.
You can clearly see from Barnes� images of their bone in ballistic gelatin that the Berger Hunting VLD penetrates through bone and then fragments into the area of the animal�s vital organs. This action cuts through tissue (internal organs) and transfers the bullets energy as this fragmentation occurs. This transfer of energy produces tremendous hydrostatic shock (much more so than a lower BC bullet that arrives on target with a reduced velocity). When the hydrostatic shock and the torn tissue (from the fragments) combine it creates a consistently lethal and larger wound cavity deep inside the animal�s vital organs area.
The extensive tissue and organ destruction along with higher levels of energy dumped into the internal tissue usually puts the animal immediately into shock which drops them in their tracks. They quickly succumb to blood pressure loss and/or multiple organ failure. Those animals that manage to stay on their feet after impact from a Berger Hunting VLD will not last long with this amount of internal destruction. This is why we say that �They won�t run away from a Berger.� Some might call this slogan marketing hype but it is in fact a brief description of the actual results you can depend on when using a Berger Hunting VLD.

A friend of mine guided a guy on an antelope hunt. He was shooting a 300 WSM with 180 Barnes. They found a monster buck, snuck in ant shot it at 200 yards. Massive blood spot on the chest right behind the shoulder as it RAN off. It kept going.

Worked in on it again. It was grazing as if nothing had happened. Shot it again at 250 and it SPRINTED off like a [bleep]' race horse. They couldn't keep up with it. Went home for the night.

Came back the next day to look for it. Located it. It was GRAZING again. Couldn't get close as it knew the jig was up. Took a Hail Mary at 1100. Hunt over.

Came back the next week and recovered the head/ horns with game and fish permission as well as the landowner. Horns were like baseball bats.

I'm sure someone other than JohnBurns has smoked a grizz with Bergers in a dangerous sitch with good results.

[bleep] me, come on man get real..

[Linked Image]

Two of my B&C pronghorn, both shot with barnes..If it makes you feel any better i'm certain if I was using bergers on those hunts the picture would look exactly the same, hell if i used a standard WW2 ball round out of a garand the picture would be the same..save the bullshit stories.