Originally Posted by Klikitarik

We know they can work if placed well. The critical question, however, is whether they work better (or even as well) as other bullets when placed into a maliciously motivated animal in less than ideal locations for that is what one can expect under the circumstances (and which is why a lot of people like the long hole idea better.)

Yeah, when they're coming at you from 60 feet away (or less) and traveling at about 20-30 miles an hour through truly thick (jungle-like) brush, they don't give you much to shoot at, nor is the situation conducive to "proper shot placement".

The last two that I had to follow up after clients had wounded them, didn't provide ideal circumstance in which to dispatch them.

For example: One bear was killed only after I'd accidently shot through a 4-inch thick alder with a .375 H&H magnum loaded with 300 grain Nosler Partition bullets. That shot was fired from about 25 or 30 feet. Even still, the bear kept coming and I dropped him at about 12 feet with a shot into the end of the nose.