Originally Posted by 458Win
John, I am more than willing discuss personal experience with both Berger bullets and with Bears. Discussion are a two way street however.
I have shot a lot of Bergers, but not at bears.
As for the difference between a determined charge from an unwounded or wounded bear I will simply refer you to my daughter, her packer and her last bear client. 10 days ago they were charged by an unwounded sow - that was no bigger than a grizzly - It was a completely unexpected charge and the bear had come from a direction so that my daughter was unable shoot without endangering the client. Fortunately the packer was quick and was able to get a shot into it from his 375, which dropped it 15 feet in front of them. It immediately bounced back up and continued toward for the client. he was backing up as he shot and the bullet struck the neck of the bear as he fell over backwards. It died with it's head touching his feet !!
I am sure a Berger would have worked as well in that case as the Nosler's that he was shooting. But we won't know until you tell your stories.

As for size of bears, there are recent records of grizzlies killed in Montana that weighed over 900 pounds. that is a good sized bear by any standards.

Phil,

I think you are referring to the bear picts, if so here is the story.

First bear was shot broadside through the shoulder at 175yds with a 180gr VLD from a 7mm Rem Mag. Bear collapsed at impact and rolled onto it�s back with the feet up in the air.

My bear was strongly quartering away at 620yds and the 180gr VLD entered behind the last rib and broke the offside shoulder. Bear ran 40yds and stopped facing straight away on a slope.

2nd bullet went over the hind end and entered right behind the hump. Bear turned into a dishrag and rolled down the slope.

The second bear was videoed.

I am not sure where the charge thing came from, other than Steelhead gigging me. He has seen the video.

As a side note, if I get ate by a bear can my relatives use this on my tombstone? grin

Originally Posted by 458Win

Death by Berger

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.