Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In recent years Phil has used the 220-grain Partition when he's carried a .30-06 for backing up bear hunters, because he's tested a bunch of .30-caliber bullets and it penetrates deeper than any other. But he did use the 200 Partition for many years before the 220 was introduced.

So far nobody has suggested the Timothy Treadwell method of grizzly defense: Talk to them like they're your friend!

Picked up some of those 220 gr Nosler Partitions for my .30-06, and doggone, those things shoot pretty good! My "grizzly penetration test" was only a bunch of water-filled milk jugs, but the Nosler most assuredly killed a mess of them and came out looking pretty good. That's a Big .30 cal bullet. Really changes the whole look & feel of the .30-06 cartridge, compared to the pointy 165's I usually load.

[Linked Image]

Grizzly at close range. Not a comforting thought. I've hunted, camped, fished and backpacked around them quite a bit over the years and thankfully have as yet avoided a hostile bear. One was pretty grumpy though, when a bunch of us salmon fishermen woke him from his nap near the river!

BTW - I really appreciate the input from those here who have killed grizzlies. Good to learn from those who've done it vs those of us who just worry 'bout having to do it someday...

Guy