Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
How far did those slugs penetrate?

I wouldn't think big, slow, soft projectiles like those would penetrate deep enough in a big, tough critter like a Kodiac.

DF

Sorry, I missed this earlier. In full frontal mode one typical Foster type slug hit near the clavicle traveled through a couple "ribs on edge" to the diaphragm, roughly before taking a hard right turn and traveling through the bear literally at 90 degrees to original shot and exited just behind the ribs on the far side. Shot was under 10 yards in tight, tight cover. That was the really impressive slug. Had it been right up the middle the bear would have been dead much faster.

Another crossed at about 45 degrees through the chest starting off to the side and exiting well behind the opposite side leg. The bear was turning at the shot and total penetration was about 3' or so, missing bones and just plowing through lungs.

Third was side to side through the ribs and just under the hide.

IIRC a fourth was through the ribs a bit above the first and traveled down into the sternum. It stayed in, too.

OlBlue shot his bear with the 375 as he stated a few posts back and one of his 200gr NPT went in the rump, traveled full-length, exiting EXACTLY through the ear hole without any damage to the hide at all! His bear was also the first one I boned a scapula on and took pictures of a knife through the bone...

I have a tag for this coming spring in Uganik Bay again and the 375AI with 270gr X bullets is going along again...

So, I gather slug penetration was pretty good, projectile just not staying on course like the rifle.

DF

Yes, in this one case they worked fairly well... Far better than expected and far better than I have seen in the many other critters I have shot with slugs. That is the rub... If a slug will stay inside a broadside deer it does not give me a lot of confidence for bear use.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.