Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
10-4!

BTW, a buddy of mine works for the Government. They did all kinds of testing with different firearms. They shot old cars in different locations on the vehicle. Engine block, doors etc....

He said the only thing that penetrated BOTH DOORS and exited was a 12 gauge slug.

I have never tried to kill a car by shooting it. I have used a bunch of slugs on critters.

I will always choose a modest rifle bullet over a slug...

I don't work for the government, but I do keep a 12 at camp for problems that might arise.

This 12 ga Brenneke did not make it through both doors of a modest-sized (problem-sized) browny/grizzly. No big bones were hit. However, big muscle can have challenges of it own.

[Linked Image]

At a distance of around 30 yards, he took the slug basically broadside through the muscles of both shoulders and kept going, albeit with much less enthusiasm. He did not give up, however, before finally taking a pair of 300-320 (jacketed and cast) bullets moving at around 1550 fps from a 45 Colt carbine. That was a bear that refused to stay away from our cabin and, after about 7-8 previous attempts to scare it away non-lethally by firearm, I finally, at 2:30 in the morning, resorted to lethal force. There is an obvious difference between shooting an animal at rest and at will versus shooting one which is not at rest and which does not allow one a calculated shot. Give me something that can make a long hole.

As for carry ammo and hunting ammo. If there are potentially bears or other concerns, I'd rather carry with defense ammo in the mag. That puts me in good stead for a quick shot if needed at either possibility. If I should have the opportunity for a longer shot where the advantage of a niche bullet might be preferred, its a simple matter of changing out the mag contents. (Or just shove a long-ranger up the pipe.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.