Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I cannot begin to imagine carrying a handgun for backup when there is a rifle in my hands...
The average guy afield with both is going to waste precious nanoseconds trying to decide between the two. Adding several pounds to the load is not going to help them get around, either. I would consider it a very bad decision in the real world to carry both.

The scope issue is just one of many reasons why I prefer fixed and/or low power scopes.

Exactly. And those who think they may have trouble "aiming" a scoped rifle aren't going to have an easier time "aiming" a handgun. Either is most probably going to be more of a "pointing' than "aiming" proposition.

Handguns may have a place for those who run them well and enough, but a good bullet is the simple answer, the KISS answer, in this query.

I bow to, or stand behind these two fine gentleman. To me, if you are carrying a rifle, packing a handgun is senseless and a lot less punch.

Bob

No way I'd be reaching for a handgun if I had a rifle...but I'm in the habit of carrying a handgun and it could be much needed in a case like this. Much needed as in if the situation got to the point where I was carrying a rifle and had to reach for the handgun, the handgun could be used to trace ownership to determine the body was mine.