Originally Posted by rcamuglia
If a grizzly is charging you, how many shots do you think a guy will get off? How fast can an average hunter run the bolt?

He's gonna have a scoped rifle. The bear's gonna be in his face, fast. Not to mention the fact that most guys don't practice shooting from field positions with freshly soiled underwear. smile

I shot a coyote running in at me at 5 yards with a 3-9x on 9. All I could see was blurry fur.

Im thinking a large caliber handgun on your side while you have your deer/elk rifle full of .308 155 gr VLDs is the best solution to hunting in grizz country

I cannot begin to imagine carrying a handgun for backup when there is a rifle in my hands... Few shoot a handgun enough to be reasonably proficient. It is another thing entirely when someone actually hunts bears with the handgun... They probably have a pretty good idea how to run it.

The average guy afield with both is going to waste precious nanoseconds trying to decide between the two. Adding several pounds to the load is not going to help them get around, either. I would consider it a very bad decision in the real world to carry both.

The scope issue is just one of many reasons why I prefer fixed and/or low power scopes.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.