Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Phil, thank you for chiming in. Your input has the weight of a freighter in this regard.

Are you calling me a big bore ? grin

Like everyone here I have opinions and most have been developed over the years by experience.

I do know that there are no bad bullets - but there certainly are wrong applications for each of them. Berger makes some fantastic bullets for accuracy and in certain situations they work well on game. But no projectile does all things well. You are not going to brain a bull elephant with a Berger and a Woodleigh solid is not likely to win any Olympic events or vaporize a prairie rat.
I have posted this photo before on discussion like this before but the same arguments keep popping up. It is a bear that one of my clients wounded and that I had to follow up in very thick pucker brush. I was carrying my 30-06 stuffed with 220 gr Nosler partitions at the time and knew from experience that they would penetrate every bit as well as my 375 or 458 ( which I was wishing I had when he charged ). There is no way that I would have even attempted following it up if I had been using Bergers !!! And if I had I probably would not have survived.

A wise person chooses the best tool for the job.

[Linked Image]

'Big Bore Phil' could mean all sorts of things, some of them being compliments. Looking at you with that wee rifle over that huge bear, I'm thinking we should call you 2-Bore Phil.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.