Originally Posted by arkypete
It's my observation that religion is a money making business, selling salvation. I seldom see church leaders living humbly and in poverty.
The major religions, Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran. Methodist, etc are major tax exept corporations with the local churchs as franchises.

Jim

People often say that as though they are surprised, or as though it discredits those who truly do believe in Christ. But Jesus himself said, "Not everyone who says to me, �Lord, Lord,� will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 7:21).

Look closely at Jim's statement. He says, "I seldom see church leaders living humbly...." That actually confirms what Jesus said earlier in that same context, "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves" (Matthew 7:13-15).

The fact that there are false prophets is no surprise to Jesus, and it shouldn't be to us. But to us, it should motivate us to be faithful, and to be found among the "few." Jesus is either everything, or he is nothing. Take your pick as though your life depends on it.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt