Originally Posted by EFW
As is usually the case it seems to me you over simplify and mischaracterize the situation here. Clearly there are groups within the Christian community who conform to some degree but for the vast majority the question of faith related in acceptance of the accuracy of God's word is not at all mutually exclusive to a academic excellence in math or free exploration in science. As a matter of fact in my tradition both have been highly encouraged. I don't believe in a new earth and don't believe it a necessary point toward belief in the reliability of Scritpure.

Then it sounds to me like you are not a Dogmatic Theocrat.

Originally Posted by EFW
Do you believe as I do, that everyone has equal rights to speak freely in public of what they believe whether they agree with me or not? The assertion & use of that word suggest to me that perhaps you have different standards for religious speech than other forms, but based upon your overall attitude in this conversation I'd be surprised if that we so. You seem like a free speech advocate.

Good conversation/exchange. I'd gladly sit around a campfire and snipe antelope with you, and share Scott's general lack of enjoyment of many Christians. I came to the Church from your position, so I can appreciate it.

EFW, thanks for the kinds words.
You are correct. I'm an advocate for Capitalism, Free Thought, Free Speech, and the Constitution. IMO the Constitution guarantees the freedom of, not the freedom from, religion. Free speech means we should each expect exposure to idea's and religion we disagree with. When we disagree, we have the right to attempt to alter the other persons opinion with our powers of reason, and persuasion, so long as both are employed honestly, an nothing more. I have no right to use force to change your mind , nor should any government (unless you ways involve causing direct harm to others, such at murder of innocents, even them we must be careful it is not abused.). Time and time again, history shows the massive human tragedy that results when governments use force to alter the will of their people, be it religious or secular, it doesn't matter for most of the greatest tortures abuses and genocides in history were propagated under a doctrine that justified the ill treatment of those with different beliefs.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell