Originally Posted by arkypete
It's my observation that religion is a money making business, selling salvation. I seldom see church leaders living humbly and in poverty.
The major religions, Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran. Methodist, etc are major tax exept corporations with the local churchs as franchises.

Jim

Didn't read the whole thread and will not. I can tell you the quote is not true with respect to Baptists. It would be impossible to get a group of Baptist churches to agree on a mission statement for ANY corporate umbrella. There simply is no Baptist "tax exempt corporation" and no "franchises". The Baptist churches I am personally experienced with are independent PERIOD. There are local and regional Baptist associations (i.e. Southern Baptist Convention) that cooperate on various projects and initiatives but no hard and fast international Baptist constitution that is followed.

I can also tell you Baptists are not perfect; just take a look at me. However, acts that are tolerated, even accepted as 'normal' in certain other 'religions', are reason to be kicked out the back door of the churches I have been a part of with no waiting period, no counselling. That's one thing that made me just shake my head when the pope made his remark about 2% of Catholic clerics being pedophiles. He didn't say how many are KNOWN practicing homosexuals. How many of these pedophiles has he personally and publicly excommunicated?? How many of the known practicing homosexuals has he removed from authority??

But I digress, and not being Catholic, Methodist or Lutheran will stick to my personal experiences with the Baptist church.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."