Originally Posted by longdog
I shot a whitetail doe on Saturday with a 6x45. She was 130#, really big for where I was hunting. The 80 Ttsx impacted the front shoulder on a quartering towards me shot with an estimated impact velocity of about 2400 fps. Result was a complete, over the top, back flip, drt. Pretty neat to be able to watch the whole thing perfectly through the scope.

I use a 6-222RM aka 6X47 but have a slow twist barrel on it, I have difficulty shooting heavier than 70 grains. The 105 grain looks impressive on paper at least. It's carrying the same energy at 300 yds that my 70 grain bullet has at 100 yds, even with a 500 fps difference at the muzzle in speed. While the 70 grain has been working for me for nearly a decade, the 105 and .500 BC just appears to be "mo betta".

So I imagine a faster twist is in my future, just don't know if I'm going X45 or X47 again. My current dies overwork the brass and I have to anneal the brass to keep it from splitting. So since I'll be buying new dies again I might just give up some case for simplicity.