Can we go back a bit on this rifle/cartridge?

Originally Posted by Big Stick

The 18.5" 6x45 has 40+ Mils of available erector travel from it's 200yd zero. The windshield alone gets it to the 925yd line with 105A-Max. The erector alone,will reach the 1800yd line. Add the 10 on the windshield and that's the 2000yd line on the nose. + .010" eccentric in stern,- .010" in front and 50 MOA stabbed under rear base,for a 75MOA total inclination system.

[Linked Image]

Rest assured...there's method to the madness.

It's a Mind Fhuqk......................(grin)

Now if you remember I asked you why set your rifle up for 2000 yards when the bullet at sea level will go subsonic before 1000 yards. Now I understand you wanted to maximize your POA/POI intersection and maximize the subtension latitudes of the MQ reticle, because you told me this in no uncertain terms. Just as you told me the twist of your barrel was going to keep your 105 A-Max stabilized as it went from super to subsonic, again in no uncertain terms.

I finally have my computer back from the repair shop and could run your numbers through the Applied Ballistics software. Using Brian Litz's Weapon Employment Zone calculator I learned some interesting things using a standard 20x36 inch iron maiden about your shot probability at 1000 and 2000 yards with a high confidence shot as defined.

Originally Posted by Applied Ballistics Calculator

Wind Estimation: +/- 1 mph
Rants Estimation: +/- 1 meter
Rifle Precision: 0.5 MOA
Muzzle Velocity: 10 fps SD

With a high confidence shot and a 200 yard zero you have a 70.6% chance of hitting your target at 1000 yards, which isn't a horrible percentage. However at 2000 yards your hits on target percentage drops to 5.5%. Going to 1100 yards drops you to 56%, but shortening up the range to 700 yards gives you almost a 99% hit probability.

Seems to me I need to ask again why bother setting it up for a 2000 yard shot, when clearly the cartridge isn't capable? If there truly is a "method to the madness" I don't see it, unless you just deal daily in unrealistic expectations. If that's the case, then it really explains a lot.