Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've never, ever understood the problem people have with the safety on a 1911. I switch between a 1911 and striker guns regularly and have never missed the safety or "forgotten" to use it. Disengaging the safety should be a natural part of the presentation.

I hear you. For nearly a century people of been disengaging safeties of all types. then in the 80s can start showing up without safeties and suddenly people are completely confused, can't operate a safety, and now you have those who profess they'll get you killed.

Just like how people were able to manipulate an external hammer on a rifle, shotgun, or handgun for some 400 years, but now days all the instructors say to never mess with the hammer on any loaded firearm. I've been lowering hammers to half cock on Winchester 94's, muzzle loaders, and various Winchester pump 22's since I was eight years old, not once has a hammer slipped from my fingers.
You make a good point, there, Kevin. The concern is likely much overblown.

Hmmmm.... now WHO would overblow such a concern?

I have one, but don't consider it ideal for personal protection carry, due to the single action design, which requires depending on deactivation of the thumb safety in the moment of the gravest extreme.

They make it only in the hammer fired, thumb safety variation, which in my opinion is generally unsuitable for defensive carry.

A thumb safety is one additional thing to do before your sidearm may be used to save your life. Can you train to it? Sure, but even the best trained occasionally forget. Fine on a sport firearm, acceptable on a fighting carbine, but not ideal, IMO, on a CCW, which, if needed, will likely require instant draw and fire under highly stressful circumstances.

Originally Posted by 320Keith
If you "fumble" with a thumb safety you are untrained and should not have a weapon.
I'm a adherent of the KISS principle. When the SHTF, one typically experiences an IQ drop to about moron level, so you'd better Keep It Simple, Stupid. Thus the thumb safety statement.

Only problem with it is that it's a bit heavy for a pants pocket gun (for me), and has that thumb safety.

Sig's little 1911 style .380 is a luxury range pistol compared to the LCP, but not near as good as a pocket gun for self-defense. Much bulkier and heavier, and you have to worry about forgetting to switch off the thumb safety when your IQ drops by about half just at the moment you need it.

Just a small sample from no later than late April.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.