Originally Posted by smallfry
No, but you don't need to defend your flawless 1911s, because some 1911s are quite a bit more reliable than others. I had one built by Nelson Ford that I felt was fairly reliable. But I sold it because I didn't think it was reliable enough and better defensive pistols were on the market. Really I think the 1911 makes an absolutly $hitty combat gun for a lot of reasons. grin

Go to an IPSC match where you'll see many properly built 1911's that go through obscene amounts of ammunition.

Back in the '90's when I competed, I shot 4,500 rounds per month for 3 years through my mostly out of the box stainless Commander. The only mods were grips, sights, and grip safety. I never touched anything functional on that gun and it took 4,500 rounds per month for 3 years without a single broken part or any failures that I can recall.

Both of my current 1911's work perfectly and they're not 40+ years old. One is about 15-16 years old and the other is 5 years old. Both have worked perfectly right out of the box; which is what I expect from any brand new pistol.