Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by DINK
So there are no quality production 1911's?

I can't carry a gun I put together.

Dink

Sure there are. But you can't tell if you got a 'quality' one until you run 500 rounds of ball with no malfs except those conclusively attributed to out of spec rounds. I had a new mid 90's 1991A1 Commander that never choked in 4000 rounds rounds of ball, JHP or SWC reloads. More recently, I had a nickel rock Island GI that choked a few times when new. I discovered it had a short chamber, but RIA sent me a new, perfect barrel in 7 days flat. That one ran thousands of mixed loads and went to cop friend who left the biz for real money. He still shoots the piz outta that gun and it just chugs on like the Energizer Bunny. So it's not about buying a certain brand to get a good gun. You simply pay your money, take your chances and correct any small deficiencies you find.

The best analogy is that a 1911 is like a Briggs and Stratton one-lunger. Use good parts, put it together to factory specs and the damn thing can't help but RUN.

People I trust tell me recent production Colts are as good as they've ever been.

Originally Posted by gitem_12
Personally I can't understand why so many people want a 1911 when a Sig 220 is available

A couple of years with a Sig 220 started me down a trail that eventually led me away from the 1911. These days my 'Commander' is a Sig 229 in 40 caliber. It is as mechanically accurate as anything this side of a hard-fit match gun. It's grip fits me and it's SA trigger is sweet and crisp enough that 6" plates at 25 yards are no work at all, shooting one handed. The 22X Series Sigs are fantastic pistols.

Colts built today are a good as they ever were for sure.

A genuine 1911 (1991A1) can be had for $799.99 List. Everything is built correctly. $22.00 Colt magazines ( C's and M's)are the industry standard in reliability. Hard to beat.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.