Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Right on Dwayne !!

I'd forgotten your neat conversions !!

Awesome.

Paul;
Thanks for the reply, but I can't take any credit for the designs on any of the builds.

My millwrighting tends towards gear boxes and in fact I'd picked one up for the job, but Seymour said he had a dead washing machine in his basement and an idea running around in his head, so of course I happily let him work it all out.

The "bearings" by the way on that thing are just plain old eastern oak which he took along from our place as well. I worked in the cabinet/furniture industry for more than a couple dozen years and was always dragging home bits and pieces from the off cuts. As an extension of that, I have dozens of cutting boards squirreled away which I give to new hunters starting out.

Anyways when I quizzed Seymour on the oak "bearings" he laughed as he replied, "Oh man Dwayne they worked for decades on threshing machines being driven by tractor flywheels! They'll work fine for you. Just give 'em a drop of mineral oil once in awhile and they'll outlast you"

If you look close at the second and third photos Paul, we can see the oil holes in the blocks and yah, so far they appear that they'll outlast me and maybe my kids too. Crazy how some of that old school stuff works.

Again, I'd have been obsessing over installing roller bearings into them Paul, you know, in front of the gear box.....

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/04/23.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"