PA has a program called hunters sharing the harvest. It alows hunters to donate deer to the program in conjunction with butcher shops that partivipate in the program, The hunters pays a small butcher fee and the butcher cuts and wraps the meat and gives it to the program who distributes the meat to the needy. When I was still on the job I had a list of needy folks that I would give road killed deer that were not very damaged and illegally taken and confiscated venison to. At one point in time I would give road kills crop damaged killed deer to the county prison. They were handy in the summer when deer did not last long without refrigeration and they were open 24 hours, I would pull up to the gate and announce game officer with a deer in to thespeaker on the wall and the outside gate would open, I would drive in and it would cose and the inside barbed wire gate would open and I went in. They would send prisoners out to get the deer and skin it and take it to the galley. The prisoners would be cheering out the windows because they like the venison. The prison ground most of it because they could make man meals out of ground meat. There came a time when there was a problem on an army base in the area and they had too many deer on the area and regular hunting could not be done so sharpshooters were going to reduce the herd . I got a call asking me how many deer I could get ris of. I called the prison warden and asked him how many deer he could handle. He aske me to come to his office. I did and he sadly told me that labor and industry had come into the prison to do an inspection and found over 100 lbs of meat labled venison. The told him they could not feed meat that was not government inspected to the prisoners, he apoligised and said he was not allowed to take deer any longer. Our goverment at work!

Last edited by oldtimr1; 01/03/24.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.