So it looks pretty obvious with 51 pages of info here on the 338 Federal that it must be a pretty decent round for deer sized game and up.

Well I have been fighting it off for years, I think the 338 Federal Bug has finally got me in my older years. I've hunted and killed deer with mainly 30.06, 7MM Magnum 300 Win Mag, and killed a bunch with a .50 Caliber muzzleloader. Out of all the deer I have killed that slow .50 caliber muzzleloader has been as or more efficient as those other rounds as far as one shot and DRT. Never, ever have I lost a single deer that I hit with that muzzleloader.
I have witnessed that a bigger caliber bullet traveling at lower velocity than those other fast calibers kills just as good. So I have started looking at a short to medium range Deer thumper in a bolt action rifle. From what I have read it appears that the 338 Federal might just fill that slot. The biggest percentage of my Deer kills has been at 75 yards or less, the majority being probably 50 yards or less. I want to find an effective cartridge that will knock them down with authority. On my Deer lease there is a creek and I hunt within 50 yards of that creek. I have taken a few Deer in that area and luckily those deer that ran after being shot never went down hill to the creek. On the other side of the creek is another persons property, so you know what that involves if a deer runs over there. However my brother in law has shot 3 different bucks that either went across the creek or landed dead in the creek. So what I am getting at is, I want a hunting cartridge that will put those deer down quick if I do my job with shot placement.

If you guys have any pros or cons let me know, any input will be greatly appreciated.

NEVER GIVE UP