Originally Posted by obie458
Does anyone have any (on game) experience with the 160gr Barnes ttsx? I would like to try them on deer size game, any thoughts?

I loaded up a bunch of 160TTSX last year and used them exclusively during last years hunting season. Accuracy was excellent from my Ruger. I killed 3 deer and 6 hogs with them. Nothing ran more than about 25 yards.

No bullets were recovered, including one that I shot quartering through about a 220 pound hog - took out front shoulder and opposite side ham, kept going. This was my fastest drop of all the animals taken. The big hog just flopped down dead on the spot. My buck was a smaller management deer and he ran at full speed for about 25 yards before dropping out. Both does and most of the hogs traveled a few yards, fell, got up, circled, fell again, etc.

Certainly can't complain with the performance, all game recovered. Still, IMO they are still to heavily built for deer hunting. I have seemingly got a lot more/quicker "bang flops" using 150grn SST's out of my 30-06. This has prompted me to develop a 200grn SST load for my 338Fed. I'm getting very good accuracy with this bullet in my rifle and will hunt with it this year for comparison sake.

HTH

David