This thread is amazing, I’ve read every post and some twice. Haha. Became a member to thank PRM and the others who’ve taken the time and now add my findings for those who may find them interesting.
I bought a semi customized tikka t3 that had the throat lengthened, a mag length bolt stop added and the long action mag to accommodate the big long heavies seated out I’ve yet to find the max OAL but am able to seat any bullet as far out as possible.
I found some part boxes of appropriate projectiles and went full bullet nerd checking velocities and performance at 100 yards with water jugs and wet newspaper.
I also used both large rifle primer and lapua small rifle primer brass and found there to be no difference so far with CCI 450s, primarily because here in Canada the primer situation is very grim and i happened to have plenty of the small magnum primers for 6.5 and 308win.
I have tried the following projectiles and powder combos.
160 TTSX - 53grains AA2230 Palma brass OAL 2.994” average of 3005 FPS. 3/4” MOA
180 AB - 50grains win748 OAL 2.881” average of 2575FPS
230 ELDX - 45.5grains N140 Palma brass OAL 3.070” average of 2410FPS. This combo has shot a five shot group of 1.75” at 300 yards.
Keep in mind my findings are unique because of the lengthened throat but this is quickly becoming my favourite rifle.
I have also tried 185 TSX, 185 GMX, 200 Accubond, 225 Accubond, 225 Deepcurl, 200 HotCor and 225 partitions. All reasonable accuracy, I wish the 225 Deepcurl was still in production as it had extremely good penetration and expansion. Factory fusions performed very well too but factory ammo isn’t nearly as fun.
Hopefully this thread continues as new projectiles and powders become available.