Originally Posted by jmh3
It been a while since I've been part of this thread. I was wondering what is the largest game anyone has taken with their .338 Fed, what load they were using, and the performance. I'm trying to get added in to a Bison hunt this fall (one of my friends had to back out) and really want to take one of my .338 Feds but just not quite sure about it. I'll know this week if I'm going and the hunt is November so I'll have time to work on loads. Based on my own experience, the 160s are out. They dump a lot of energy on the entry side and as good as they are, can't see them penetrating through and through. This outfitter strongly suggests heart/lung shots so shooting behind the ear isn't an option. Typical range is 100-200 yds. If no actual experience on Bison, I think moose and larger plains game would be a decent comparison. Everyone else is taking their big bores ( and I will as well), but would love to drop one with the "tiny" Fed..

My son took his Bison with a 338 Federal 210 partition at 250 yards. No problem with penetration. It doesn't matter what gun you use, they don't drop right away so a couple shots are always encouraged.