Made a bad shot on the deer. Hit low and too far back on a deer that was quartering to me. The bullet exited between his legs. Threw what amounted to shrapnel through a ham. It worked but I would be worried on something bigger or badder, such as a big bore hog. Normally I head shoot the hogs unless I want the skull for a mount. If it's big enough to mount it's big enough to worry about the sst. Works for the deer around here, but I just don't trust it on a shoulder shot on a 300 lb pig

The rifle is a custom Savage with a #5 contour McGowen at 20 inches long. Light rail and Surefire light for Texas hogs at night. I don't remember my exact load but I think it's right around 44 grains of 3031 for 2585-2590 fps. Again, don't have my data in
frount of me so don't try that at home. I had better velocity and accuracy with the short barrel and 3031 than I did with H4895. I've got enough stuff to load for around the house so if I can find one bullet for deer and hogs that would be great. I mainly use the rifle for hogs but since its duracoated I sometimes use it for a foul weather deer gun, so I load that works better for hogs is what I'm after.
Thanks for the quick replies.