Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Always have wondered, what would the .243 be, with a sharper shoulder, longer neck, and rifles built for it? Twist and barrel length for the bullet/load the user wants to use, throat for same. Mag box to match, maybe even a medium length action if needed for feeding constraints. Hell, say 5-10 grains more powder capacity, and even heavier, longer bullets for those who wish to use them. A 120 grain 6 mm would have an ungodly BC and cheat wind like a sumbitch. Be the damn wonder cartridge of the century...πŸ˜‚

Of course, I probably described an existing cartridge I am not loony enough to know about, seems there is nothing new under the sun. Creeds are a standard mousetrap made slightly better to work within the existing constraints, and maybe further limited by arbitrary rules for the games they were developed to be used in. I am a hunter and shooter, not a competitor, so my mind runs more to changing the constraints rather than fitting a cartridge to the ones I have. And too, I am not enthused about trading velocity for BC, when I could build something that gives me both.

Not the same bolt face, but without looking up 6mm wildcats, you've about described 6mmPRC performance. And with the highest BC bullets the cartridge really could use a medium action. Bigger badder 6mm's exist, but there ain't no free lunch. Barrel life quickly becomes one of the draw backs.

Yeah, I know. Was checking out the 243 Catbird a bit ago. Better have a serious barrel fund if you shoot that one much. Physics are such a bitch, ain’t they?πŸ˜‚