I'm not sayin' this to be insulting, but it seems a touch naive for anyone, let alone someone in law enforcement to be posting an opinion like that. I don't need every Joe who may wish to do me harm for some reason to know my real name, or be able to locate it on the internet.

I belong to exactly one forum that requires the use of real names, that being a custom rod building forum. I've not seen another one yet that requires it.

I did naively post under a forum some time back under my real name, and it showed up on a search engine some time later. I don't need everyone that knows me knowing my business, where I live, or my telephone number.

I also know enough about computers and the internet to understand that I know SQUAT, and probably do not have anywhere near a full realization of just how much information can be gathered on someone with just a name, especially a name as unique as mine.

With the information you provided, I can likely give you back your date of birth, home tel #, and home address, all from a free internet search. (I obviously won't do it though in case you don't want that info out there).

Me, I'll protect my familly, myself, and my hard earned good credit better than that. I've made enemies. I'm sure most of us have, especially those who have worked in law enforcement.

I typically PM with my full name, but you won't see it on a public forum.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.