Actually, the police department I worked for wouldn't tolerate me talking like that to anyone, included a perp.

Interesting. It's a long story that you can probably find two or three iterations of here on the Campfire if you search, but years ago I was many times mistaken by cops for a perp, and in all but one case I was treated much worse than Gene L has treated anyone here; in that one case it was an old white-haired cop who finally explained to me what was happening and how to avoid it (noticed that the guy I was being mistaken for was twenty years older than I, nine inches shorter, fifty pounds heavier, and black).

If what you say about your department is true, perhaps it's not particularly common.

And twice you've threatened to leave, not just this last time, but about 2 months back as well, when everybody disagreed with you...yet you're still here.

You probably know this already, but it's officially called an "opus." You know, "You guys don't properly appreciate my brilliant intellect and scintillating personality, therefore I'm outa here and boy are you gonna be sorry. So there." If you've been on the Internet any time at all, you've probably seen a number of opuses. ("Hey guys, wanted to let you know that I'm about to head into some life changes and probably won't be posting for the next few months" is not an opus.) The common feature of almost all opuses is that they don't work: the poster has to stick around to see how it's received, and almost invariably is compelled to respond to something said about it. Both Gene L and Steelhead have recently posted opuses. and they're both still here, for example.

If I may toot my own horn a bit, here's an opus that worked: http://oregonconcealedcarry.com/index.php?showtopic=1701&hl=

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867