Most people in the fickle industries can accept them being fickle if the forces driving events are market forces. People understand markets and market cycles, that's the core of a capitalist, free society. But when the markets are distorted by politics, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fickle fish. I'm guessing you got caught up in the Rifle collapse, which was, from start to finish, political more than market.

As for TPL to states, the sick truth is, there are real grassroots forces out there who have real concerns about the terrible way that the federal estate is being mis-managed. Federal law is horrendous for many, really great for a few, and almost mandates irrational outcomes that waste money and resources. The federal land management system, in the view many in closest routine contact, is badly broken and in screaming need of many reforms, which I hope would be aimed at less process and more results, more "greatest good in the long run."
So is there any surprise that the level of frustration and disenfranchisement has engendered widespread desire to break away entirely, to a government at least CLOSER to the people most affected?
And is it any surprise that Greens, who have enjoyed power far out of proportion to their actual presence on the ground, are spending hidden millions to quash any possible political opposition that shows signs of any genuine political traction?
As for the Bakken, well, yeah, but on balance, North Dakota is overall better off financially and has more options for its future, while the country at large also clearly has come out ahead. Could the boom have been less nuts? I wish, but oil WAS at 150 a barrel and gas four bucks. Now it's about half that, a good thing hands down.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.