And around the block we go again. Full spectrum use of public lands, yes. But.

I've hunted small parcels of regrowth pine from former logging areas, which had been done in a careful practical manner. In those areas, roads had been made, and in time faded into the overgrowth. it wasn't on steep hills. That was many years ago.

And I've hunted areas right next to oil wells, and former oil operations. Those areas were not in the middle of a migratory route. Exxon had done an exemplary job of cleaning up prior to leaving an area North of Evanston, Wy. And the hunting was pretty good even while they were in operation, because of good practices used. This was many years ago. I'm not "either/or" in my thinking. What I've seen more recently is oil, gas operations that aren't as careful in planning, in spite of having MORE technology available to be careful. Its about money greed.

Its about the money. Same thing about logging. Removing trees from mountains, and steep hills that have poor anchoring of fragile topsoil can result in mudslides when the heavy large snowpack melts. I don't abide large scale high country mountain logging and new logging roads that then wash out the sides of mountains. Nothing can be planted quickly to hold the topsoil.

I don't trust states to take control of more public lands, because it would be all about the money, especially in these economic times. I guarrantee they won't be careful.

I've hunted public lands with acres of cattle/sheep grazing. I have no problem with that, as long as those areas aren't overgrazed by more livestock than allotted, and they're out of there when they're supposed to be out of there. And, NO NEW ROADS to grazing areas. Only existing roads.

Bottom line:

We already have lots of roads on public lands, and I've used them. We don't need more. We need wilderness, roadless areas more. I've cited why in previous posts. To add, at 66Yr old, I'm less likely to hunt the roadless areas in the coming years, but I'm supremely aware of the importance of roadless/ wilderness, in the lives of younger hunters and hunters/fishermen of the future.....because I'm 66yr old. I've learned a few things in those years.

Last edited by Wyogal; 03/18/17.