Very well said and sums up my thoughts almost exactly.

I'd add that I'm not a fan of logging when its poorly done which I've seen more than my share in the east. Loggers typically have close to zero regulations and use almost no E&S controls. You run a coal mine next to a logging operations and its almost criminal the differences in sediment control between the 2 operations. The solution is not to use less E&S.......

I also agree with your statement that we have enough roads through USFS. I hunt CO, WY, MT for elk every year, not all 3 together but whichever catches my interest for a particular year. The issue I have in WY is the non-resident rule against NR in wilderness areas which forces me onto the 'rest' of the NF. Its hard to get more than 1 mile off a road in non-wilderness areas in western and southern WY. I've never hunted up around Jellystone or the Montana border, mainly because I don't want to deal with grizzly's. I'd like to lay out a map with Dave on the Medicine Bow NF and have him tell me we need more roads through it. The areas I've been in and looked at in the Bridger-Teton didn't look a whole lot different. Same goes for NF in region 4 in Montana.

If I was king, I'd likely evaluate the road systems in the areas I mentioned and shut down some. I'd also increase the penalty for riding 4-wheelers on closed areas. I see it every year. Had a jackass drive around the gate on a private parcel in Medicine Bow west of Saratoga 2 years ago. He drove right past the gate, onto private property, and 'scouted' from his 4-wheeler for the remaining 3/4 mile of road. He was staying in a camp ~ 2 miles down the road from us. Wonder if the private landowner is feeling all warm and fuzzy about elk hunters and more roads? Kinda doubt it. It will be posted in coming years because of idiots like that, making it unaccessible for the rest of us.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.