Matthias,

I ask you. What would happen if you reasonably believed your neighbor was in desperate need of your help because he was being held by an intruder who was going to kill him? There is no time to call the cops. Based on this reasonable belief you busted down his door to find a masked man confronting you with a gun, who you shoot an kill. Soon however, you discover that your belief while apparently reasonable at the time, was mistaken. The man in the mask was your neighbor's teenage sun who was preparing to go to a costume party. What would happen to you? I think you know what would happen to you. Why is it fair or justice that you go to jail for it, but if a cop did it, he gets a paid suspension from duty. Farfetched you say? Remember the cop who shot the actor who had a fake gun at a costume party while there to investigate a noise complaint. Is he in jail? No, why not?

I am saying that the police and our attitudes need to change. We need to consider that all "suspects" are humans and entitled to basic human dignity. Giving them this respect, may on rare occasion, place the LEO in a situation of increased risk. Yet, it is a risk he chose when he chose his profession and it is one he owes to the society he purpports to serve.

As to the old lady mistakenly killed on the drug warrant. Your thinking is too narrow. Go back up the chain a bit and ask,"Why is it even necessary to bust down the door"? Anyone must admit that busting down doors increases the risks that these kinds of things will happen. Therefore, I suggest that it only be done in the most extreme circumstances and as a last resort. Nowadays, its seems that it is done as matter of course. We should demand that our public servants be held accountable for all their mistakes. They have great responsibilities and powers.

As to your earlier post. I have no illusions about changing anything. I simply refuse to be fed a sh** sandwich and call it prime rib.