Joe...unfortunately, living in ANY community means that individuals must subject themselves to the what's good for the community, not what's good for the individual. That's sorta how this whole living-together thing works.
Owning guns and snorting cocaine are not the same by a far shot. It doesn't take a lot of brains to figure out that cocaine (or whatever else) is bad not only for the individual but also for the community. Therefore, it is best to make it unavailable. I have a 2 year old son. I do not baby-proof my house, never have. If he feels he needs to touch the porcellain nativity scene, then he will have to experience a minor ass-whooping. I hope he learns not to touch it. Much better than me baby-proofing the house. However...this is a graded approach. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that I will not have knives or guns or similar items laying around so he can "learn his lesson". It's not all black and white.
So, here is one of our fundamental disagreements that's causing a lot of the arguing: You believe that it is better for the whole neighboorhood full of kids to cocaine-addicted than it would be for you to have a law imposed on your liberties.
I do not believe that. I would agree with some instances, but not this one. Why? Because "the learning experience" for the kids invariably will end in death and injury for a few of them. Which could have been prevented.

One other thing you mentioned: You said that we really aren't any safer today than we were 200 years ago. Well, try to look at it this way? Where would we be in our crime statistics without an organized police force? (Especially in Metropolitan Areas) Again, I point the finger to post-1990 Russia.
Like I said, this is not all black and white. With some common sense and a graded approach to different levels of problems and localities, sensible solutions can be had.
That said, I think it would be much better for this country to have much of Government shifted to a local (or State) level. The closer it is to the people, the more adapted the governing is to the situation. Also, it'd be more accountable.
But...I personally do not have any hopes of that actually happening (Since history is lacking such a precentent in its annals).

Proverbs 1:7 - The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.