Joe,

The officer would not receive the same treatment as I would because I made a choice to go over to the neighbors home and get into the situation. The officer is called there to do his job. Is it fair to throw a paramedic in jail because he misdiagnosed you and you died because of his good intentions? Remember, he is trying to save you. I don't know the answer.
What is the cop supposed to do then? Wait for the friendly masked man to identify himself as a dress-up? I'd shoot.
The officer is doing his job. Unfortunate incidents happen. Like I said, this side of heaven ain't perfect.
I am trying to put myself into the situation you described. What if it was my son? I would be very upset, to say the least. I do not think I would hold the officer responsible, unless he gave me reason to do so. However, I'd like to know why no phone call or any other communication method had been attempted prior to going into a possible hostage situation. That would stink of incompentency.

Proverbs 1:7 - The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.