Quote: "Perhaps the likely fate of a former LEO sentenced to jail for child molestation had something to do with it."

Huh? I don't get what you mean. Are you saying that the potential danger for the convicted LEO going into jail would convince a judge not to send him there? Any reasonable judge should say: "You make your own bed, you lie in it."
Again, if there was a conviction of child molestation, then certain MINIMUM sentencing has to be followed, which are dictated by law (state law I believe). I am not aware of any state that does not have some jail time as an absolute minimum for the charges discussed here.

Quote: "As to subsequent civil actions, I do not believe the offenders committed these offenses in connection to their duties."
Okay, think about what you said there. The LEO part had nothing to do with the crime. What you have is a person with some poor judgement who happens to be an LEO, not the other way around.
Again, I ask: What would you do to improve the situation? Judging from a lot of responses in this thread, people are upset that not every last LEO in this country is a saint who never does wrong. Please, I am not standing up for the wrong things committed, nor for the perpetrators. All I am saying is that that's how the cookie crumbles, people will make mistakes, be it due to bad character or poor judgement or whatnot.
How do you prevent LEOs from making bad decisions? How do you prevent ANYONE from making bad decisions? You can offer guidance and proper training, but you will still have flukes. What we see here is just a prominent and visible sign of the overall decay of our society.

Proverbs 1:7 - The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.