This thread is ripe for the mining of history-twisting.

...I know police do good things. However, I do not believe there would be anarchy without them. For most of the history of the world, there was no such thing as an organized police force. For the most part, we got along fine.

I'm afraid I'm gonna have a beef here with Mr Haggis, if he's the one who taught you world history, Joe. The BULK of human history can be characterized as either fascism or anarchy.

...I grew up in the country. Police were not a presence in my life. If we needed a police officer, it was going to take him at least 30 minutes to get there. Yet, my house was never robbed, my mother or sister wasn't raped, my dad wasn't murdered. In short, I saw none of the anarchy that is promised by the the law and order at all costs advocates...

Joe - if you grew up in the US, perhaps (thanks to Haggis's coworkers) you were unaware that IT IS DIFFERENT here and now, than other places and/or times. In world social/historical perspective, the last few hundred years of western culture in general and US culture in particular have been the exception to the rule, on this issue.

BTW - which do you think comes first in our society - anarchy or fascism?

...As I grew older and left my sheltered littled world, I began to have more to do with cops. I began to see friends beaten when they were picked up for public intox or some other minor offense...........................
During law school...............................
I personally have never needed a cop for anything and I am capable of handling myself..................

This all explains a lot. Seriously, Joe........thiiiiink. You need to look beyond the end of your nose.

-FreeMe

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.