Joe, it is indeed a matter of degree - just as you say.

I can tell you that alcohol and cocaine differ by degree. They are as different as apples and oranges. One can use alcohol responsibley and NOT become intoxicated. The whole POINT of using cocaine is to be intoxicated. And it is virtually impossible to do so without being intoxicated.

Pot has been used in these kinds of discussions as well. Not only is pot virtually always intoxicating (show me someone who smokes it and does not get intoxicated - those who *think* they are not intoxicated do not count), but very often the user believes he is more competent under the influence of pot. Not only that, but the mind disabling effects of pot in regular users is somewhat constant and lasting even when they are not ingesting it (up to three months after use has stopped).

Meth cannot even begin to be rationally compared to alcohol. I know some meth addicts, and even THEY will tell you this. It is vastly more dangerous and has more devastating permanent affects.

I could go on and on...

Then there's the issue of certain drugs that are ingested unknowingly, because someone ELSE put them in food, drinks, etc. At least you KNOW when you are or may be drinking alcohol.

And BTW, Joe - thanks for this quote "...you know and I know that there are more alcoholics out there than there are drug addicts." This FACT is so commonly ignored by those who would legalize drugs - EVEN WHILE THEY CLAIM THAT LEGALIZATION WOULD REDUCE THE NUMBER OF ADDICTS! You're not gonna go THERE, are you?

-FreeMe

edited for typo

Last edited by FreeMe; 12/15/03.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.